Developing Spelling Skills
- Date: Friday 1 May 2020
- Time: 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Location: Belgrave St. Bartholomew’s Academy
- Cost: £60 per person
Details and content
BTSA are delighted to host this course facilitated by Janet Gough. Janet has over 24 years experience as an Assistant Headteacher, English Subject Lead and a Leading teacher as part of the National Strategy. She is a freelance English and Literacy consultant who specialises in supporting teachers with the teaching of grammar, punctuation and spelling and the development of vocabulary and comprehension skills.
This workshop will explore reasons for the current issues around poor spelling in many secondary schools when children enter at Year 7. It will delve into the essential skills of phonemic, morphemic and etymological approaches to spelling and aims to increase teachers’ repertoire of activities to teach spelling.
Course content includes:
- To consider the expectations for spelling within the National Curriculum 2014
- To understand how children learn to spell and the importance of spelling
- To suggest activities to develop skills in phonemic, morphemic and etymological approaches to spelling
- Explore the relationship between phonics and spelling
The session takes place at: BTSA, c/o Belgrave St. Bartholomew’s Academy, Sussex Place, Longton, Stoke on Trent, ST3 4TP.
Parking is available at the Florence Sports and Social, Lightwood Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire ST3 4JS (Short walk away from Belgrave St. Bartholomew’s Academy).
Please do not use staff, Co-Op or New Florence pub car parks.
To book your place(s) on this course, either:
- Complete the online form below
- Email email@example.com
- Call Josephine Edwards on 01782 235 523
PLEASE NOTE: 14 days’ notice must be given to cancel a course to avoid a cancellation charge
An invoice will be sent via email following your booking.
Please check your spam/junk folder and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not receive this email.